cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Issue on Windows 7 64 Bit PC

Highlighted
Adventurer

Installation Issue on Windows 7 64 Bit PC

I keep getting an error about the VC++ installer. Here is the info from the temp log:

Script stderr:

Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Data Directory. Setting variable iDataDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Base Directory. Setting variable iBaseDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Service ID. Setting variable iServiceName to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Service Account. Setting variable iServiceAccount to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Super User. Setting variable iSuperuser to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Branding. Setting variable iBranding to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Version. Setting variable brandingVer to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Shortcuts. Setting variable iShortcut to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 DisableStackBuilder. Setting variable iDisableStackBuilder to empty value
[21:38:02] Existing base directory:
[21:38:02] Existing data directory:
[21:38:02] Using branding: PostgreSQL 9.6
[21:38:02] Using Super User: postgres and Service Account: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService
[21:38:02] Using Service Name: postgresql-x64-9.6
Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_0c1ecac7b7\prerun_checks.vbs"
Script exit code: 0

Script output:
The scripting host appears to be functional.

Script stderr:

Executing C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_0c1ecac7b7\vcredist_x64.exe /passive /norestart
Script exit code: 5

Script output:

Script stderr:
Program ended with an error exit code

Error running C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_0c1ecac7b7\vcredist_x64.exe /passive /norestart: Program ended with an error exit code
Executing C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_0c1ecac7b7\vcredist_x86.exe /passive /norestart
Script exit code: 5

2 REPLIES

Re: Installation Issue on Windows 7 64 Bit PC

Hi,

The installation is failing with exit error code "5", this error code will be returned incase if the script/user dont have sufficient access or if you have some issue with permission's.

To troubleshoot this issue further could you please try below solutions,

1> Try changing the TEMP directory or verify if you have proper permission on TEMP directory,

For Example,
Try to launch the installer from cmd by setting the manual TEMP location,
c:\>mkdir mytemp
c:\>cd mytemp
c:\mytemp>set TEMP=c:\mytemp
c:\mytemp>
c:\mytemp>echo %TEMP%
c:\mytemp
c:\mytemp>c:\postgresql-9.6.3-2-windows-x64.exe

Check if the installer is able to launch or still you are getting the same error?

2> Can you please confirm if you are running the installer using "Run as Administrator" option?

Adventurer

Re: Installation Issue on Windows 7 64 Bit PC

I don't understand how to do any of that. Yes, I am running it as administrator. Now, I keep getting the message:

"Error ocured during VC ++ runtime installer"....

This is frustrating. I'm about to forget it and just get my money back on the online course.