Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome! Let's Get Started!

Community Manager

Welcome! Let's Get Started!

Welcome to Postgres Rocks!

Untitled.png

Postgres Rocks is a community designed to offer users an opportunity to connect, share questions and insights, experiences and tips, and generally discuss all things Postgres.

Below are a few quick start guidelines to assist in familiarizing our users with using and navigating Postgres Rocks. For a more in depth understanding of PGR usage, we encourage you to check out the HELP. This section offers our users expansive tips on how to most effectively navigate and participate in the PGR Community.

GETTING ACQUAINTED WITH POSTGRES ROCKS

Postgres Rocks is set up in a simple to use format designed to inform you and help you inform and connect with other PGR users. The general categories in PGR are as follows:

• Postgres Gems: Blogs from Postgres contributors and experts.
  • PGR TKB: Postgres Rocks Tribal Knowledge Base articles offering content and solution. This is a great source for self-help or general knowledge expansion
  • Discussions: A selection of boards where general discussions on topics of interest to our users can be found. Join in the conversation!

POSTGRES ROCKS RULES

Postgres Rocks Rules are designed to maximize respectful behavior, safety and consideration in order to ensure all users have a positive and constructive experience. Please review the Postgres Rocks Rules. carefully. As a member of the Postgres Rocks community, adherence to the listed guidelines is expected. Thank you in advance for your responsible behavior.

STARTING OUT:

PGR ACCOUNT SETTINGS

When you first start out, take a moment to customize your account settings to ensure your experience in PGR is tailored to your specific tastes and interests. There are a wide variety of customization fields created to offer you an experience uniquely designed for you. “My Settings” is where it all begins and can be accessed by clicking on the gear icon located in the dropdown menu found under your User Avatar and User Name, located in the upper right hand corner.

User Name: When you first create an account (register on PGR) you will be asked to choose a User Name. This will be the name by which you are known throughout the community, so be sure you are happy with your selection before proceeding.

Your Personal Settings: Here you are provided the opportunity to select how you want to be seen in PGR publicly and what you want to see and experience as a PGR User personally.

What the other PGR Users see –

• PGR Profile: Customize what is seen by others PGR users concerning you. Clicking on the “My Settings >Personal>Personal Information” is the page where you can add a biography, signature and web link. This will appear on your Profile that is seen by the other PGR Users.

What you want to see and experience –

• Your Preferences: Customized your entire experience by setting your personal preferences. Here you control what you see, messaging, layouts, time zones, etc. Click on “My Settings>Preferences”. From there you will find tabs allowing you to select your appropriate time zone, text size, layout, emoticons and more! Just click through the tabs to see your options. Be sure to hit “Save” in order to endure your settings are preserved.

Adding A Profile Photo: You have an option to add a profile photo should you wish to do so. Your forum profile photo will appear next to all your posts and set through your Postgres Rocks profile. You can update your photo by following the steps listed here.

Note: be sure to check your “Privacy” settings (My Settings>Preferences>Privacy) to ensure you have the profile set up for view the way you want it. If you would like your photo visible to the community, you will need to the option “Anyone” is selected. If your photo is set only to be visible to “You” or “Friends Only”, your picture will appear as a an Avatar by default.

POSTING

Posting is easy! We encourage you to contribute as much as you would like. Ask your toughest questions! There's a good chance someone has an answer or can point you in the right direction. Sharing your questions, opinions and expertise makes for a more inclusive community.

To find established conversations or answers, start by typing your question or key words in the “Search all Content” box located at the top of the page.

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 10.46.37 AM.png 

If someone has asked/commented on a similar question, their post will appear with a link for you to click. If nothing appears, it’s possible you are the first to ask that question. You can start a new conversation thread by clicking on “New Topic” at the appropriate board.

As you are composing your message, be sure to include all necessary details. You can include images, video, or links if those are helpful in clarifying your post. Format and spell check your post as needed. Once you're happy with your new message, click "Post". Your question will appear in the board you've chosen, and other users will now be able to respond.

By default, you are set up to receive notifications when another member replies to your original post. This makes it easy for you to keep up on activity when you have navigated away from Postgres Rocks community. You can reply directly to an email notification to post your follow up response.

If you find a solution that works, you can let others know by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the response that best answers your question. When you accept a solution, both the question and the solution get special icons and links that take you directly from the question to the answer. Note that you can mark a solution as accepted only for questions that you originally posted. 

EXPLORE!!

You're now ready to start joining conversations and meeting fellow Postgres users! Explore Postgres Rocks to find your favorite spots and have some fun while sharing and learning. Enjoy!

2 REPLIES
Adventurer

How do I change my password on this site?

How do I change my password on this site?

I've looked at my profile and all my preference settings, I've checked what seemed to be the appropriate Help sections, and I've read this getting started post.  I see no references to changing one's password.

I have not forgotten my password (I am logged in right now).  I just want to change it.  Please advise.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: How do I change my password on this site?

As this site is hosted by EDB and the same credentials can be used to log into PostgresRocks.net as into Enterprisedb.com, you can go to the EDB website (https://www.enterprisedb.com/user/login) and change your password there.  

1. Just log into enterprisedb.com (using the same credentials as you use for PostgresRocks.net)

2. Once you are logged in and see your profile page, click on the "Edit" tab. There you will find a field to change your password. 

Hope this helps!